Jenny HunterGeneral Manager, User-Centred Design
Bureau of Meteorology
7:00 AM How Structured User Research and Analysis Can Help Transform Services for Customers and Benefit Your Organisation
The key to launching a successful new service is to truly, madly, deeply understand customer needs, problems and behaviour. But what does this mean in practice and how much time and money can be allocated to this process? Done well, an effective user design process with qualitative user research and analytical data, can potentially cost less while delivering greater value to the customer. In this workshop, you will learn some of the best practices and techniques to build and establish the capability to design the best user-centred design framework for your organisation, starting from the basics. You will also discover the importance of working closely with different project teams to enhance your business capability and long term planning of service delivery.
Enjoy a complimentary breakfast, tea and coffee while you learn about:
- Building the process through buy in: The importance of user research and developing insights to shape policies, processes and frameworks
- Establishing the value of your project to ensure it is flexible to accommodate changing business goals and able to improve basic functions and services
- Ongoing customer analysis to determine any future priorities or investment needed to improve service design and delivery
- Quantitative and Qualitative analysis: Developing more quantitative analysis in order to complement the qualitative user research
2:40 PM Designing for Emergency Management: Understanding Needs and Behaviour to Inform Service Design at the Bureau of Meteorology
The BOM is just one spoke in the complex wheel of emergency services. Before launching into redesigning its digital products, BOM’s user experience team set out to understand the needs, behaviour, relationships, communication channels and day-to-day workings of emergency managers. This took them around Australia, virtually and physically, resulting in a rich body of information, artefacts and insights.
- Hear about the journey and findings from this work. Find out how it’s been accepted within BOM and how it’s changed the way BOM will design its services
- See how the solutions now being developed differ from what would have been the case without user research
- Learn about BOM’s User-Centred Design Framework which is underpinned by the Digital Service Standard